Guanghua Temple (Putian) - Chinese Buddhist Temple
Guanghua Temple (广化寺) is Buddhist, built in Southern Chen Dynasty in the Fujian province of China. Guanghua is 500 metres south of the cave.
In the period of Emperor Xuanzong of Tang, Indian monks came to the temple to discuss and lecture on Buddhism. After its decline in practical use, Emperor Xuanzong of Tang built a tower there.
Created in 558, the first master of the temple is Jinxian, hence called it was called the Jinxian Court (金仙院). In 589, under Master Shanwuwei (善无畏), it was expanded in size and renamed Jinshan Monastery (金仙寺). Master Shanwuwei was one of the temple's founders who also visited Japan, so some Japanese Buddhists arrived here as well.
Major renovations took place in the Ming and Qing Dynasties.
As of 1949, there were 60 resident monks. In 1965, there were 57. During the Cultural Revolution, the temple is forcibly closed and turned into a factory, all statues of the deities were smashed, and all monks dispelled.
In February 1980, a provincial Putian County Guanghua Restoration Committee was created. Funded mostly by overseas Chinese, the reconstruction began four years later in December.
In 1983, the 36-year-old Master Yiran (毅然法师) became the head monk of the temple. In 1990, the 24-year-old Master Xuecheng (学诚法师) replaced him.